Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Routine


A world trip is also about routines. Some small - pack the bag, others that take more time - get a room. The latter always begins with a look that has a touch of awe and another of daze.
I wasn't different when I arrived in Luang Nam Tha. Maybe a little more lost than usual. I had just come to a new country and this was my first stop. Worse, I arrived early. When I alighted the bus, I thought it was a regular stop. A group of tourists aroused my curiosity: "What are they doing here?" I looked around me and found the same word repeating: Namtha... "Is it my stop by any chance? Luang Nam Tha? " I decided to ask. And at the third confirmation, I realized it was it.

The second step of this routine is to see how we arrive at the Hostels area. This was a village too small for a map in my guidebook. And around me there was only ... well, nothing. I had a market, buses and street. No Tuk-Tuks in sight, trying to sell a hotel or something else.

Third step of this routine: leave the station. With no alternative option other than just one street... life was easy. Now I had to choose the direction. On my left, I saw nothing more than an empty street. On my right... voila, the tuktuk and the group of tourists. An easy choice. When I arrived they were in midst of negotiations. They were also going to the city, so we ended up going together. When we were surrounded by hotels and travel agencies, the driver stopped the tuktuk.

Time to take the last step of this routine. Pick up the backpacks and start knocking on the door of the guesthouses, with the following questions:

"Do you have room?"
"How much?"
"Can I see it?"

It follows two alternatives:

"Ok, I'll be back if I do not find something cheaper" that serves both as the initial search and to check the price sensitivity.

Or:

"Discount ... discount? "that is used when you already have a room that interests you.

In my case, I make this last question in a begging tone, rather than demanding. I'm not good at negotiating, so this is the best way out . In addition, this negotiation is different from the Indian one. The refusal is taken as mere refusal, and not as a mean to get into a negotiation.

Finally I got my first room in Luang Nam Tha. A guesthouse that is located slightly off the main street - with an appearance suitable for one day. With the key in hand, I came to an end of this new routine, with the last ‘sigh’ but then again, is it not the way all routines end?

No comments:

Post a Comment