Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Le Moi Errant: Time



When we think of travel, we think of physical locations. It was so with me. While preparing this dream, I imagined myself in some distant place watching a sunset or simply walking a street in a faraway plce in this world. Thus, the “where” was the greatest gift I was offering myself. Above all, the trip was something geographic.

It would also be an emotional journey - hence the existence of this chronic. I didn'
t understood that places or emotions aren't the basis of a trip. Its essence is time. What I was offering me was free time. And nowadays, this is precious. This is what transforms a trip into something special.

Before leaving I had a schizophrenic relationship with time. He was precious and fleeting. Well loved and sometimes hated. Today, I realize that it is within our reach and our control. And that to have time is something that changes everything around you.

Life is about choices. Mine guides me to a different destination from the one I would arrive if I had taken a year to be in Portugal. The people we know, the landscapes we admire and experiences that we have are the source of our change. But in essence, it would be also a journey so magical and special as this one.

You may question whether it is worth all the sacrifice. Straight forward I say yes. I don't even take my eyes off the screen. Just listen to the sounds around me, feel the smell of the flowers that bloom in the trees, or remember all the great moments and people I met along the way. But more than travel, that is living... and life is always worth the sacrifices necessary to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment