Monday, January 16, 2012

A different Christmas


The day was spent like any other. I had just arrived in Cochin and the desire was to know the place I was delighted at dawn by it. Only a few stars, and some decorated trees, reminded me of Christmas Eve.

Over time I became more anxious. The most important thing wasn't sightseeing, but the existence of an internet connection. Back home, this was my priority. Now, I couldn't remember I was in Cochin, but on Christmas Eve.

It's weird being so far and with such a different life on this day. There is an ambiguous feeling. Happy for what I'm doing, sorry for not being at "home". It was the day that I had more “saudade”. It made me remember the moments I lived in Christmas, and how precious they are. I know it's just a day. But by this time the intensity is different. The eyes of the people carry another force. I missed it.

But hunger spoke louder and, with a guaranteed connection, I went for my Christmas Eve: a fried rice with masala. An original way on Christmas Eve. The restaurant, which had opened for a short time, was almost empty. Just a couple constituted the group of customers. As they leave, they wish a Happy Christmas, which I wish back. With the stomach satisfied, I return to my room.

Connecting online and I get my present. Two hours talking with my family. I see my niece opening the gift I gave him. Something that is possible when you have a good contact with Santa. Time passes between stories, smiles and good wishes for a Happy Christmas. It may not seem like much, but those hours were gold. They made my Christmas to be different and very, very special ...

No comments:

Post a Comment