Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mysore


Bangalore is the today's capital. Mysore is the historic capital. We can not see one without wanting to look at the other. Not if we want to understand this region. I must admit that I ended up not seeing much, but what I saw was enough to fill the eyes.

Maharaja's Palace and Devaraja Market

There are palaces, and then there is the palace of the Maharaja. We associate this word with luxury. Here we see why. It occupies a large space in the city. It is something that spoils the eyes. The garden is large and geometric. The gates are a window into the city. In each of these, are the temples that give that exotic touch to the space.

But the attraction is the palace. And this is just beautiful. The wooden doors, the floor mosaic or colored columns of the hall, transport us to another era. We can let our imaginations run free and it will always find a corner to be free. Exiting, the garden seems even grander.

And when we entered the street, we leave this reality behind. The horns and confusion reign. I follow the hustle and bustle of this Indian city until I reach the Devaraja Market. A market mainly of food and flowers. But busy enough to follow the crowd and try out one or another product. I like to notice how people move. As retailers try to attract customers, or simply hope that their karma will come true. It is always good the time spent in the market.


Chamundi Hill

And watching all this city is Chamundi hill. It is a sacred place and at the top are a few temples. I go there by rickshaw, looking at the green space around me. Reached the top, is the street market with its stalls and flowers that infects me. I walk around to catch the atmosphere of the place and notice Ganesha once again.

I decide to walk down the stairs the pilgrims use to reach the top. At this rate I can appreciate the beautiful view that this hill has. I'm not alone. Here and there, people take advantage of the banks provide by the natural rocks. The descent is steep and fast. By the middle I still find the big statue of Nandi. It seems to have a mocking smile that seduces me.

Mysore has everything you imagine a city in southern India. It is perfect for a place to stop and get our day off. And that's exactly what I did ...

4 comments:

  1. Gostei! E levaste-me a Mysore e apreciei cada detalhe que descreves. Como se estivesse lá.

    MJosé :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muito obrigado! E bom saber isso... :) A ver se continuo a melhorar (e o caminho que mais gosto de precorrer;))

    Stran

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love d way u describe Mysore, for some moments I went back there and experienced it all again.
    Love M

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to read that! Thank you so much. Hope that I continue to be able to take you back where you've, and taking you places that you have not met yet :)

    Kiss J

    ReplyDelete