Monday, January 30, 2012

New Year's Eve


Time for reflection and wishes - like. Day of stress - dislike. Party - like. Artificial - dislike. This is my relationship with the New Year's eve. Always despising, always partying. In this trip it was the same. For a week I struggled to know where I would be on the 31st of December. Until I got tired. All my life I considered it a party without sense (although beautiful). Now I had the opportunity to choose what to do, I was once again going through the same stress. A case to be studied by scientists.

When I decided to follow my path, oblivious to the day, I had a brilliant moment. I broke the vicious circle of that date. A curse that haunted me for 32 years. Instead of worrying about the New Year's Eve, I worried more about the “like's”.

The first was spent at the computer sending messages. Then, close to 10 p.m., I left the hotel for dinner. I chose a close one that had no New Year's eve program. I wanted something with good views of the city. This was, like many others here, on top of a building.

I ordered my food and let time pass. In between, chit-chat with other people who were sitting at my table. When I realize I was the center of attention. One of the few Westerners here. The atmosphere is lively and festive. I feel the crescendo of the last minute. When the moment finnaly arrives it's party time. Of course here “the moment” begins 20 minutes prior to midnight. So, I celebrated a few between hugs, laughter and wishes for a good year.

Outside, the rest of the city join us. The fireworks illuminates the streets. In the midst of these, the four towers of Madurai's temple that pierce the sky remain calm, just watching the party. I let myself be contaminated by its calm and follow the example. On the streets, people jumping and dancing. The more adventurous have in their hand fireworks that light up their dances of celebration and give a character to the magical moment. I am happy, not because of the minute that passed, but for being at that moment, ar that hour, there to see this happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment