Sunday, April 8, 2012

From error to error to being a tourist


A journey is also made of wrong decisions. The errors abound. This had many reasons. The fatigue of a journey, an empathy and a rather early and unnecessary yes.

When I sat down, next to my "Nepali friend" – a tourist agent – I wanted to give him a little business. I think it is important to choose whom I spend money. So it didn't seem bad to discuss a package tour. And my tiredness pushed me to that conversation. After months "on my own" I didn't remove the possibility of having a package that included everything down to Pokhara.

Of course, such feelings should pull all the alerts that my body has, but I was numb with fatigue. When my "friend" gave me the brochure, my great interest was whether the trip to Pokhara was included - and if it was worth giving some business. I looked at the prices, did a little mental calculation and it seemed to me a price more than fair. Didn't cost me anything to say yes... Well actually it did, and a lot. Once again, all in me should have said that something was wrong. At least all the accumulated experience should warn me not to anticipate a yes without knowing everything.

As might be expected, the price I had seen wasn't correct. It was the Nepali price. Mine was slightly more expensive - almost the double. The fatigue came back and won. I did not argue and my final thought was that the damage that wasn't that bad.

All this ended up transforming my trip. Without noticing it, I just went from being a traveler and became a tourist. With all the flavors and disappointments that this implies. Chitwa was seen differently from the other places. I ended up doing everything I wanted and didn't wanted. But I think my soul wanted to be one of those tourists who don't need to care about anything. And when I left Chitwa I regain the strenght to continue the trip. Perhaps more than before. I knew again the importance and joy of doing a trip like I'm doing. In a strange way, it was necessary to go to the other side of travelling, to see a little more of my one trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment