Thursday, April 26, 2012

The streets of Bangkok


"Unique" is the word that I find to describe this city. By itself it means nothing. This is one of those adjectives that attach themselves to many different realities. The problem is that I can not understand very well what makes it unique. It's just a feeling I had while walking through the streets of Bangkok.

The people are the ones that make a place what it is. And the first thing you notice here is beauty. It's amazing how any woman puts a model in check. Typically wear short dresses to highlight the linear shapes of their bodies. Many with an umbrella to cover themselves from sun. And men don't lag behind. With more informal style in appearance, they cultivate the good taste of this city. Here I am like a homeless person.
But it's not only how they dress. It is also the way they walk. Certain of its destination without weights, they transmit a security that the city knows where it's going. And if you look at the sidewalks, it is going to heaven. There are many skyscrapers or mega-malls.
At each end of the metro the same feeling. A cosmopolitan and free city. A site which becomes independent of the country where it is. Here I enjoy a freedom that I already missed. As with everything, here and there we realized that this is not really deep, but the most apparent. After all, Bangkok is also the capital of Asian prostitution and right next to the night market - a set of street stands that sell a little bit of everything - is one of the oldest places of prostitution.
But this is not a city of unique realities. Upon entering the Chinatown Asian confusion finds its space on what seems a huge Chinese store. Here we can lose a lifetime. It took me half an hour to cross it in a straight line. In between, are the faces, almost all Asian, looking for a little bit of everything at the cheapest price.
In the meanwhile we can feast on any of the street food. And how the Thais know how to cook. My favorite is a simple one: a sticky rice with mango and coconut sauce. But not just here. The street food stalls are another iconic image of this city and you find them everywhere. From the most local place to the area of ​​the temples. The latter is the center of all tourism in Bangkok. A clean space touching the river. Any city in the world would be happy to have a space like this. The pagodas tell me I'm in another world, the rules have changed and now it's all about the tourist.
Not strange that here I am approached more often than any other place of Bangkok. The Tuk-Tuk's drivers try to convince me I need to go to some place. But I don't need. To feel the city it is only necessary to walk through its streets ...

No comments:

Post a Comment