Monday, April 30, 2012

With a smile...


It is fast to get used to easy life. After the "cultural shock” of returning to a developed country, the worries of buying a train ticket vanished. Calmly, I went to the station in Ayuthaya. A village in an island of a river. The crossing was made by boat. Time to enjoy the wooden houses, and the serenity. The sunset reflected in water and painted everything around it. I smiled at my luck.
Just before reaching the station I'm greeted by the strong smell of food. My stomach opens his mouth and orders me to stop for a sticky rice and mango. With this boss of mine satisfied, I went to the little station in Ayuthaya. The white walls make me remember my country. And the order - and disorder - almost takes me back home. Only my eyes and smell the food - there are stalls everywhere - tell me otherwise. From question to question I reach the ticket office. In less than a minute I already have the ticket.
The next day - and with more 18 kilos on my back - I return to the train station. The letters written on the information board tell me that my train is on time. Of course this was only a matter of hours until “on time” became late. So the train arrives with a Thai punctuality. An hour after the scheduled time I board this metalic animal.
As I enter the hallway I feel a chill ... not of cold but of astonishment. I wasn't used to comfort and cleanliness anymore. It felt like a luxury hotel. Inside the compartment my traveling companions had taken their place. My astonishment became curiousity. Seeing the size of the bed, I didn't understand how I could fit the backpack. In that a pristine white room, it seemed that my backpack had no place. Seeing my inability, one of my colleagues points out the place of the backpacks. After India, I forgot where was the normal place of them: just above the door. Between smiles,II put my heavy companion to rest.
Time to relax and enjoy the trip. In the middle of this comfortable train, the landscape becomes even more beautiful. The journey goes across the mountain and through the typical jungle of this region. I can not help smiling as my eyes are intoxicated from the green trees, my ears filled with the symphony of the rails and my thoughts drift into the world of dreams ...

No comments:

Post a Comment