Monday, December 5, 2011

Ben Türk

Today is my last day in Turkey. In fact, tomorrow I'll be still here, but it will be passed on the road. From Göreme to Ankara and from there to Tehran. I am thrilled. The whole experience was overwhelming. More than anything, I take with me the people I met along the way. I take Yuhsi companionship, the sympathy of Zé, the sympathy of Sophie, the idea of Harry, the open heart of Alejandro, the remarkably way of Volnei and Pinar, the tip of the Juliana, the conversation with Quang and the hospitality of Chris. A great start of this trip.

But Turkey will always have the image of three people: Eda, Naime and Özlem. Daughters of this beautiful land, they were the key to open the doors of this country. There are no words that can repay the kindness, help and hospitality you gave me. I feel you represent the best that this country has to offer: unique and interesting people, wrapped in a phenomenal historical context.

Are the people that make Turkey a great country. Whether we are strolling through the narrow streets of Istanbul or admiring the beautiful landscape of Cappadocia, they are what make this place unique.

What a spectacular fifteen days! Istanbul is a vibrant place. Doesn't leave you indifferent. A huge stage for life. In the turmoil of a market, to pass by the famous Galata bridge or enjoy the day-to-day one of the avenues, this city is always a multitude of lives. Different backgrounds, cultures and histories live in harmony. And you feel history not only in monuments or roads where you walk, but, above all, in people. In their traditions and habits. In their way of being and interacting. It is a real city.

Cappadocia harmony contrast with this agitation. Here you will find a calm among its many valleys. People are as friendly. You get the assurance that hospitality is of the country and not just of a region. I love how this whole area has many angles. And if Istanbul is a cultural mosaic, this is a landscape mosaic. Both give you strong emotions. I like to lose myself (but not much) here, or find that little cove where only the wildlife goes. And to hike. Maybe it's genetic. We are able to walk, and after a sedentary life, my whole body asked to walk. Follow the tracks as if I would arrive at a haven away.

And I just saw two locations. A small sample of what it has to offer. Discover this country was a gift. I underestimate it. I sought a place of transition and found an authentic and welcoming space. And after such a good welcome, I feel at home. And after being so mistaken with one, today I am also a little Turkish ...

Tesekkür ederim to all,

Hosçakal Turkey.

P. S. Tomorrow is time to travel. When you return to this space I'll be in Iran, and will have other adventures to report. If all goes well, I come back to this blog on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment