Monday, December 5, 2011

Moments

Thousands of coincidences - and small choices - makes a moment. In this case, walk to Urgup (8 kilometers away from Göreme) and a long climb, led me to this place. A small shelter on top of one of the valleys ripping Cappadocia. Protected from wind and graced by the sun, I finally met the time to admire it all.

Down below, amid the bare walls of the valley, vegetation flourishes. I have the feeling of a small Garden of Eden. Autumn gives it a brownish tinge, where green is emerging here and there. You hear no sound of civilization. Only birds and wind touching the leaves speak to me. I reflect a little. I'm lucky to be here, right now, amid such beautiful scenery.

I feel that it touches me and molds me. Somehow I'm different. More calm and centered in my thoughts. It isn't strange the Ottoman Christians have come here. All the immensity of this landscape compels us to reflection and humbles us. There is a duality in this landscape. Here, on top, we have a broad view of soft red mountains with white lines. These lines are the monumental valleys depicted in photographs. It is an exotic place for strolling around. The tracks take us to short white valleys, the lost sites and tunnels that seems portals to a fantasy world.

In fact this whole place is like a fantasy world. It is easy to imagine that, through the bushes, an elf will come out at any time. Or the sound of the wind, is Luke Skywalker arriving. But it is also the perfect place to think about nothing. In my case, I took the ipod shuffle and let it determine the soundtrack. It's classic music. Suddenly the slopes become musical. As if it came from its valleys. Maybe it's the wave of the hills which combine with the chords of this song. I do not know. I do not even bother to find out why. I just let it go and enjoy this beautiful moment ...

No comments:

Post a Comment