Sunday, December 11, 2011

A sunset...


It was one of the toughest exercises. Describe the sunset. I was offered by Katya, my former teacher-maybe-future-teacher-and-now-more-than-all-friend. It was really complicated. It's almost impossible not to fall into a common place. At the time, my solution was to recall the most recent and striking sunset that I had seen - on a beach near Amsterdam - and try to describe it without ever mentioning the sunset by itself.

It is impossible to speak in Goa and not to mention its sunset. Think of all the clichés as they apply. I don't describe it. Not for lack of options, but because just found out how personal it is. You don't have one sunset, you have millions. Each one is unique. As the person who observes it. For this is the real sunset. A moment of deep contemplation. For each person, a thought, a different emotion. And as the sun becomes a red-enigma ball, before disappearing into the ocean mist, each of us travels to a different place. Go to a image of our past, to a desire in our future. Hypnotize ourself and destroy the time around us.

Yet, we all share this time of contemplation. I am not alone in the rock, tropical beach or in this country. I share the moment with millions of others. Nobody talks, nobody says anything, but keep the secret common to all humanity of another sunset...

No comments:

Post a Comment