Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dubai


Dubai appeared on my journey as a zooish curiosity. An opportunity in a trip between Iran and India. I wanted to know this desert-created polis.

Once at the airport, I had the notion of being in a very different world from where I came from. The scenario of the large and polished hall of the airport conveyed me to the feeling of being in a five star hotel. By the time I could even imagine that I was in a European city. Around me there was no veil and everything seemed organized. Of course in the customs check point, with its warning to certain rules of conduct, made me come back to reality.

Since I had little time, I ended up choosing to do one of the city's highlights. In this case, the Burj Al-Khalifa, the world's tallest building. Since I had to do something, I owuld do something that is only possible in Dubai. And I realize that this must be the dominant way of thinking. I feel that people wanted to create a unique place, a unique experience. What counts is to be big or bigger. Things that money makes possible.

After leaving the functional dubai metro, I got my first view of this spear pointed to the sky. Impressive, as impressive as the number of buildings being built. Beside residential homes I encounter monsters of concrete and glass. Step by Armani Hotel - luxury, luxury, luxury - and follow the clean road that leads me to the Dubai Mall - the world's largest – a gateway to climb this human made mountain.

Inside, modernity greets me. I forget my simple facet of wandering traveler and become a tourist. After all, here it is what I am. And with ticket in hand I'm coming to the elevator smiling. It is the first time I go up in a skyscraper. I am curious to find out how it feels. A man dressed in Arab shows me the way. I share the elevator with other tourists, and when the climb begins, I feel that this is not a normal lift. Whether the pressure in the ears, or the vertigo count of the floors, something tells me that this can achieve a great speed. Reached the top, I have a wide view of the Emirate. A city planted between the desert and the sea.

I can not help having the feeling of an artificial city. Something built to satisfy the ego of those who created it. And despite all the luxury, all modernity, every perfection I feel that this city does not belong here. Almost looks like the recreation of human beings full of money. I go down the elevator again. Go straight to the street. I've seen what I wanted to see. The time is to be a little inside all this luxury before returning to the hustle and bustle of the trip. I do not give my time as lost. I think it is necessary to see it. See all the luxuries that money can buy. I think it is the only way you can better understand human nature.

And before leaving, a good time. At the airport an Arab was saying farewell to the freedom of Dubai, the best way he could. Warmly celebrating the last moments while we exchanged a few words. I find that the desire for freedom is increasingly common in these parts ...

No comments:

Post a Comment