Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Sweet Break


"Can I take a photo?" I ask him "Are you Portuguese?" He replies. And with this my journey begins.

The day before was spent getting used to the tropical climate of India. It was a tremendous shock. From the cold winter of Tehran to the tropical heat of Goa, in less than 24 hours. My whole body resented, and that day I could do little more to feed and rest.

"Yes, yes ... yesterday I came here, I saw the symbol and wanted to take a ... "

"Oh, from Sporting |a portuguese football team| …" he answered with a big smile.

After all we belonged to the same family. And with the kindness of his 70 years, provides me a chair to sit. It presents, "Bento." He's, among other things, the president of the Goa's Sporting Center and also speaks Portuguese - something that is almost extinct here. We exchanged a few words, I'll tell him what I'm doing and he is offers to help me around. I feel adopted and that brings a special comfort. A new security for another leg of this trip ...

Panjim and Old Goa

It was love at first sight. I do not know if it's the heat, the lush vegetation or semi-Lusitanian flavor that it still holds. Something attracted me and I surrendered. I love the little touches of portuguese style and how they are adopted and adapted to Indian culture. It is a unique landscape and architecture. In itself, the capital is not very big but is very pleasant to be. Following the counsel of Mr. Bento I come to experience the best Puri Baghi, a tasty Xacuti and a divine bebinqa.

The first was in the cafe Tato. An ever-filled space. I find, to my astonishment, that this specialty is served more like breakfast -  or similar  - than a starter. I'm still not accustomed to spicy, so it is with much talent that I try to separate the small pieces of chillies, while I eat the rest. The other dishes I tasted them in the restaurant Viva Panjim. And if, by itself, the food is worth the trip, this restaurant located in an alley in the neighborhood of Fontainhas is very beautiful. A family bussiness. The restored house leads us to an era when Goa was at its prime.

The city is within short distance of Old Goa. We can get there by bus. And this is an adventure in itself. Forget the number and bus stop. Here, to find your bus, just understand what the numerous cries mean. "Ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go, ol'go" yells a man in less than a second. It sounds close to what I want to go so I ask the man to be sure. I go for the little-but-still plenty-of room left over. Here nothing is wasted, and in the Indian bus always fit one more person.

We managed to reach Old Goa. There is a festival and  a small crowd rushed to the site. I like how people arrange themselves for it. What seemed to be a neighborhood party, becomes a social event and everyone wants to be dressed up. Walk through the confusion of the fair. The calm air of the statue of Gandhi contrasts to the more or less chaotic movement in the streets. I have learned that beyond the apparent chaos, there is an order that ultimately flows to everything. You only need to pick up the pace and things no longer seem disorganized ... - Ok, so disorganized.

I end up spending the afternoon in the crowd. Watching the families on picnics, the religiosity of the people or the schemes of vendors. A glimpse at what's coming ...

Mandrem

I couldn't believe when I arrived. A hut and a beach. Along this journey I discovered that you can fulfill your childhood dreams. And if Iran I became a millionaire, here fulfilled the dream to live in a hut by the sea. Mandrem is one of the many beaches that we can find in North Goa. Who coined the phrase "dolce fare niente" must have gone through here. This area calls for it. For the first time I feel happy to do nothing.

I enjoy the first break. I felt I need this moment. Doing nothing, think of nothing, no sightseing. Walk through this velvety sand beach you get to Arambol beach. This one, with more movement, seems a lost paradise for hippies. With a few bars, many street shops and a road that follows the sea coast.

And sometimes the doing nothing brings good moments. From a "what did you order?" develops an excellent conversation. It becomes one more moment of this trip. I feel privileged. To have the opportunity to travel and luck in finding so many interesting people. I wonder what I did to deserve so much. I know it will never be answer. I don't care. It is important to enjoy the moment, to experience emotions and sensations of each location. Here, the feeling of a perfect place to live happily without doing a thing ...

Palolem

I will not forget this moment. The first I saw a wild monkey. It was in the way to Palolem - a beach in South Goa. In a street that cuts a small tropical mountain, a cream and slim monkey ran down the road just to jump to the branches of trees in front. A small sign that this area was very different from the North.

From where I sit now, I see beautiful butterflies, cheeky squirrels, jumpy monkeys or eagles. I followed one more advice - this time from my friend Isabel Braz - and I'm in a beach hut in Palolem. Ordo Sounsar is the name of this space. A small collection of huts at the end of the beach. The owners transmite a hospitality that we feel at home. J.D., the owner, tells me how this site appeared. By pointing to the site, Serafin, her boyfriend, replied with a "but you can not cross to that side" - the site is at the northern end of this crescent beach, beyond the limits of the river - "build up a bridge "JD answered him with the strength of those who envision a dream. And so, we feel in a tropical getaway as you walk through this small and fragile wooden bridge. Something that looked like an obstacle became a local icon.

Around here the time develops slowly. I spend days between kayaks, hiking, diving or hang around and writing. Outside, on the beach, sellers try to attract customers, people have fun playing cricket, or football. Cows enjoy the cool beach and rest, while tourists come and go depending on the activity they are doing. I finally decided to stay along the river to write. Taste the breeze and the local dialect of employees. With a huge smile on my face.

Goa is a sweet break. A good place to initiate a venture in India. It contains many aspects of this culture, but exudes a calm that allows me to adapt to this world. Everyone tells me to prepare. India is the University of traveler. Goa was my stage. A preparation for what is coming. Here I take special moments, friendly people, and sure I'll still come back on this trip. I didn't tell you yet, but in the midst of so much help, Mr. Bento has offered to hold my backpack while I'm in India. Therefore in Goa, more than a goodbye, I say see you soon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment