Monday, December 5, 2011

This is also part of the trip ...

A person wakes up smiling and happy with life. Imagining the amount of balloons that will see when you open the door and... the day is gray and cold. Those that make you want to be by the fireplace and do nothing. "No problem" I think as I descend the stairs to take my breakfast.

Time to say “Gerhama” to the people at the inn. This case it is only one, Chris, a Swiss traveler. But in his case making a slow trip - a bicycle tour around the world. For now he is work here, while preparing for the next destination. In addition to breakfast - toast with butter and jam accompanied by tea - he also gives me some tips on places I should see. Something that I accept with great pleasure and choose to follow.

Backpack and off I go. The beginning is simple, a road in the middle of a nearly deserted plain. In the way I feel a drop of water. "I'm imagining things ..." I say to calm my growing concern. But after the first is always another, and when my jacket gets wet I can no longer ignore reality. I look forward and see the overcast sky and no shelter. A simple rain doesn't bother me. Rain, cold and wind is another story.

I decide, very reluctantly, to return to the small tourist village which is Göreme. Today began the low season in these parts and there is nothing to do. I decide to refresh my mind with the best latte of the site (at least they advertise it like that). The cafe is cozy and the latte is really good. In a better mood, I decide to make some use of my day. Start by buying my ticket to Ankara and stop at the supermarket to buy some things I needed. Deep breath and I become conscious of what I have ahead.

I go into the pension determined. One day I had to do so, and despite the cold, today is the day: I have a to wash my clothes. I look around and find a bucket and bowl. This part is taken care of. Now is time to find a place to hang out the clothes. Walk out onto the balcony and find the line. Yet it is enough loose to bond the clothes into the wall. A problem that I would have to solve. I'm going to my backpack and take the line from my "MacGyver" bag. Node here, stretch theres and in no time I solved the problem. Then it's time for the arduous task. I do it with a smile.

I spend the rest of the day inside. This seems a haven fot travelers stranded in the desert. It has a charm hard to explain. A Turkish employee who barely speaks English and almost doesn't notice you. A system of self-service beverage in which we point what we consume in a paper available next to the fridge. And a mess that makes us feel like in our home. I do not know what it is, but I like it.

Despite not having done anything, I get to the end of the day happy. After all this is also part of the trip. And despite not having the glamor of other activities, I know that is a step in the path that began eleven days ago.

PS Now I pray that the clothes will not freeze in this cold hell (it is anticipated freezing temperatures)

No comments:

Post a Comment